Empanadas with Cheese
Simple but delicious recipe for empanadas with cheese Venezuelan style. A very common and beloved dish in the country. There are also different empanada styles in different South American countries such as Colombia, Ecuador, Chile, Argentina.Then prepare some Venezuelan style empanadas with a simple cheese filling, but you can add whatever you want for the filling!
- 250 gr. pre-cooked corn flour.
- 600 ml. warm water.
- 5 gr. Salt – or to taste.
- 5 gr. Sugar – or to taste.
- Oil for frying
- 300 gr. White cheese
- Grate the white cheese and place in a bowl.
- Put aside.
Empanadas – Batter
- Before you start, you need to wash your hands. Then add salted water and sugar to a medium or large bowl and mix.
- Then gradually add the pre-cooked cornmeal to the water and gradually mix to avoid lumps. There should be no lumps.
- Let stand for 5 minutes to thicken. If necessary, add more water or flour so that the mixture is neither too watery nor too hard. The dough should be firm enough and hold its shape without cracking as you shape it.
Form the empanadas
- Form balls (golf ball size) with the dough. Flatten each ball between two sheets of plastic until it is approximately 10-15 centimeters (5 inches) in diameter.
- Spoon the cheese in the center of the cake, leaving space around the edges to close the cake afterwards.
- Carefully fold the dough into a semicircle with the plastic wrap. Cut out half a moon with a knife or press it down with the round rim of a bowl.
- In a pan or saucepan, add enough oil to cover all or at least half of the empanadas with the oil, then heat the oil to a temperature of 180° C (350° F).
- Fry the empanadas in portions until golden brown, then transfer them to a bowl lined with parchment paper or kitchen towel to absorb the oil as much as possible.
- Serve hot.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!